Sri Lanka Orders Players to Stay in Pakistan After Islamabad Attack; Series to Continue Amid Tightened Security

Nov 13, 2025 - 14:48
 0  0
Sri Lanka Orders Players to Stay in Pakistan After Islamabad Attack; Series to Continue Amid Tightened Security

Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) has confirmed that its national team’s ongoing tour of Pakistan will continue without interruption, despite concerns following a deadly suicide attack in Islamabad earlier this week. The attack, which targeted a courthouse on Tuesday, claimed 12 lives and left 27 injured.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, SLC said players, support staff, and team management have been explicitly instructed to remain in Pakistan for the duration of the tour. The cricket board warned that any member who chooses to return to Sri Lanka against this directive would face a formal review upon their return.

“Sri Lanka Cricket was informed by the team management that several players requested to return home, citing safety concerns,” the statement read. “SLC has assured all parties that these concerns are being addressed in close coordination with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and local authorities to guarantee safety and well-being.”

The board added that replacements are ready to be deployed immediately should any player or staff member leave the tour, ensuring that matches continue without disruption. “If any member returns against the directive, a formal review will be conducted, and appropriate measures will be taken,” SLC said.

The series’ opening ODI in Rawalpindi took place just hours after the Islamabad attack, with Pakistan defeating Sri Lanka by six runs. In response to security concerns, PCB has reinforced protection for the visiting team, with chairman Mohsin Naqvi personally meeting the Sri Lankan players at their Islamabad hotel to reassure them of comprehensive safety measures.

The PCB has also revised the remaining fixtures, scheduling the second ODI for Friday and the third on Sunday, both in Rawalpindi. Naqvi expressed gratitude to the Sri Lankan team for continuing the tour, stating on social media: “The spirit of sportsmanship and solidarity shines bright.”

The current series is an important moment for cricketing relations between Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Memories of the 2009 Lahore attack, which left six Sri Lankan players injured and caused international teams to avoid Pakistan for nearly a decade, remain a sobering backdrop.

After this three-match ODI series, Sri Lanka is scheduled to participate in a T20 tri-series with Pakistan and Zimbabwe from November 17 to 29. The SLC and PCB have emphasized that player safety remains a top priority, while ensuring that international cricket continues in Pakistan.

 

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Angry Angry 0
Sad Sad 0
Wow Wow 0